My mom used to always tell me about bizarre things that somehow found their ways into law books and then miraculously stayed put.
I always believed her. Then twenty minutes, for the first time in my entire life, I thought, "what if she was making that up?"
Mom, I'll never doubt you again.
And now, a collection of my favorite ridiculous laws.
- In Alabama it is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church. I think this one is a little unfair, as real mustaches that cause laughter in church are still allowed.
- In Florida if an elephant is left chained to a parking meter, the fee must be paid just as it would be for a vehicle. This kinda makes sense.
- In Little Rock, Arkansas, dogs are not permitted to bark after 6:00PM.
- No bars or restaurants in North Dakota may serve both beer and pretzels. The pretzel only bars aren't doing so great, I'm guessing.
- In Louisiana, f you order a pizza to be delivered to someone without informing the recipient, you can be fined $500. (note: If I'm ever in Louisiana, and you'd like to send me pizza, I won't rat you out.)
- In Alabama, bear wrestling is a no-no, but incestuous marriages are totes cool....
- In Alderson, West Virginia, you can't walk a lion, tiger, or leopard. Even if it's on a leash. So don't even THINK about it, buddy.
- It is illegal to use a lasso to catch fish in Tennessee. But it's not illegal to try...........
- Oklahoma will NOT TOLERATE anyone taking a bite out of another's hamburger. (This is probably why Romy and Michele's High School Reunion was set in Arizona)
- It is illegal to fish for whales on a Sunday. In Ohio.
And since I mentioned Romy & Michele...